Saturday, April 25, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandma Bene

Drinking sun tea, golfing at the Root River Country Club, playing bridge, reading every book in sight, sipping a glass of wine, teaching sixth graders about Laura Ingalls Wilder, teaching Title I Reading and Math to Hmong immigrant children, college homecoming queen at Winona State Teachers College, knowing the words to every '40s song written...

If Grandma Bene were living, she'd be celebrating her 84th birthday today. I know she'd be crazy about Miles and Hannah, and she'd be eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Ziggy twins. Grandma Bene liked babies, but she loved her grandchildren even more when they could talk. When Elisabeth, Charlie, and Annie were babies and toddlers, Grandpa Charlie would be the one to whisk them
away to go look at the garden and listen to the birdies. Grandma Bene took over as they got older. Ten years ago today Grandma Bene found out she had colon cancer. Not a good birthday present. We miss her...and so does Grandpa Charlie. If you have a story about Grandma Bene you can send GG Charlie by email, he'd enjoy it.

3 comments:

espd said...

What a nice way to remember Grandma Bene, mom. I just love this photo, too!

espd said...

p.s. Evan thinks Miles resembles Grandma Bene. Zoom in on the photo and cover her hair... I think he may be right!

Larry said...

Nobody ever had a better mother-in-law, believe me. I think you have captured her nicely in the text and pictures. She was an excellent grandma and liked spoiling our kids.