Friday, December 4, 2009

Fa-la-la-la-la

We are blessed this holiday season with technology at its finest: a new 40-or-so inch flat screen hi-definition LED TV set for the family room. Of course this is something I've dreamed about since I was a young child, and now my dream has come true. Our cable company, H- - - - - - Tech, does not yet have the proper whirligigs to make the hi-def feature functional so Larry/Dad/Paco turned to Dish TV for help. A very nice young man showed up today with ladders, tools, cables, wires, boxes, and all types of technical do-hickeys to push us into the High Definition Age.

I returned home from work when the young dish installer was well into the process, so I wasn't too late I to observe a portion of his deft installer movements between television sets, adjusting this, tweaking that, "calling in" to the home office to recite codes and numbers to a computerized thing-a-ma-bob that efficiently recorded the information, and I assume our precise location in the solar system.

Young Dish Installer completed his labors, recited a brisk list of what to do when this or that happens, gave reminders about the savings we'd be getting and the costs we'd incur, and closed by asked for Larry/Dad/Paco's signature, assuring him that the installation went perfectly and we'd certainly never experience problems with the system. Of course we won't!

I can't tell you how happy I am to have the amazing dish system! Not only did it come with, of course, a DISH, but it has additional bonus features that have me twittering (but not Tweeting) with excitement. I'm thrilled by the 180 or so extra feet of thick black cording attached to each of our three TV's, which I plan to twist into festive shapes for the Hannukah/Christmas season. A few twists here and there, a little glitter on top, and Martha Stewart will be taking photos for her next holiday issue. Did I mention the three black boxes? One can never have enough black boxes.

The icing on the cake, as it were, is a feature that is truly amazing: we have three new remote controls (or "flickers", as they are known in the Potts' household), one for each TV set! Yes! Anyone reading this surely is sobbing with envy at the thought of yet ANOTHER set of remote control gizmos to add to the ever-growing collection of same. And I haven't mentioned the most exciting aspect of the bonus feature... in at least two of the three TV scenarios, the new remote doesn't actually turn the power on or off...we get to use one of our other remotes to power the TVs on or off; or, even more amazingly, we can go to the TVs themselves and press a button that will do the same thing. THEN we can use the remote/flicker that Direct TV provided to change channels. Wow. We've come a long way, baby.

Larry/Dad/Paco just called upstairs to me to tell met that the Weather Channel is unbelievable in high-definition. Well, with 1080 (or is that 10-80?) pixels vertical, how could you expect anything less? I should run downstairs and watch. This could be my big chance to convert to Highdefinitionism.

1 comment:

espd said...

Fa la la la la is right! :-0 Poor Mama!