Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Small world

Dad/Larry/Paco is the featured guest writer for this blog entry.
........................................................
Back in June, 2001, Don, Jill, and I closed my parents' home in Buffalo to prepare to sell it. Jill and I took 450 of Dad's math and engineering books over to the University of Buffalo (SUNY at Buffalo) as a donation. We received the paperwork acknowledging their receipt of his donation, and the promise that they would put stickers naming him as the donor in all the books they kept for their collection. Well, one turned up! A friend of nephew Dan's at Buffalo State borrowed a book on hydrodynamics from the UB collection, and found the sticker and Dad's signature. She asked Dan if there was any connection to him, and he was pleased to say yes and to explain it. Nice to see a reminder of Dad, but a little chilling to see his writing after so many years.
..........................................................
I felt the same looking at the familiar, but younger, handwriting that I'd seen so many times in letters Grandpa Larry wrote to us.




4 comments:

lljone said...

Hi Cuz-- What a wonderful surprise for you to see your dad's firm, beautiful handwriting after so many years! I'll share your blog entry with my mother.

espd said...

Wow. This is really neat!

espd said...

Wait a minute - grandpa's inscription is from 12 days before dad was born!

apg said...

What a great story! I don't think I've ever seen Grandpa's writing before he moved to MN...it looked quite different in 1945 :) Beautiful.

And nice job doing the math, Liz.