This has been a lovely weekend weather-wise and entertainment-wise. Seeing the sun for more than five minutes at a time is a treat, as is being reminded that the sky can be blue instead of gray.
On Saturday, Miles and Annie came over so Annie could shop for a special birthday present for Miles' good friend Claire. I hope to see a picture of her wearing/using her gift on Annie's blog later today. Hint, hint! Annie and Miles stayed for lunch and Miles entertained us with baking pretend cookies and making pretend hamburger sandwiches in the little kitchen. He's going to have to enroll in the Cordon Bleu cooking school soon, so he can move up to a gourmet chef level of expertise. He and Hannah can help each other out next weekend--she's undoubtedly got some southern cooking ideas up her cute little sleeves.
On Saturday, Miles and Annie came over so Annie could shop for a special birthday present for Miles' good friend Claire. I hope to see a picture of her wearing/using her gift on Annie's blog later today. Hint, hint! Annie and Miles stayed for lunch and Miles entertained us with baking pretend cookies and making pretend hamburger sandwiches in the little kitchen. He's going to have to enroll in the Cordon Bleu cooking school soon, so he can move up to a gourmet chef level of expertise. He and Hannah can help each other out next weekend--she's undoubtedly got some southern cooking ideas up her cute little sleeves.
After lunch, a nap, and a round of kisses and hugs Miles and Annie went to Mankato to the mall indoor playground, and Larry/Paco/Dad/Grandpappy and I went to the Cities.
Miles, napping
First stop was to be the Como Park Conservatory to get a whiff of flowers and tropical air, but they closed just as we arrived in order to accommodate a wedding in the beautiful glass Sunken Garden Room. Thirty-plus years ago, my brother Mark and his first wife Susan had their wedding pictures taken in that room. Elisabeth, do you have any recollection of wearing your peach satin flower girl dress that day? We briefly thought about pretending to be wedding guests, but decided instead to drive around a bit and then headed over to The Good Earth in Roseville. The food was delicious, but the vegetarian-influenced charm it once had is missing. While I'm sure the burgers and steaks on the menu are from pure, wholesome, grass-fed livestock, I remember a time when fish was the only thing on their menu that wasn't grown in a garden. Still, many of the patrons looked "the type" one would expect at The Good Earth (Birkenstocks, no makeup, hand knit wool sweaters, hair even drabber than mine). I'd go back, although if I ordered chicken quesadillas again I'd ask the waitron to tell the chef to leave off the shredded iceberg lettuce. Good guac, though!
Next destination was Orchestra Hall to see and hear the Preservation Hall Jazz Band on stage with the Minnesota Orchestra. The MN Orchestra opened the show and also the second half, after intermission. Why they chose a perky George Gershwin medley to warm up the crowd for New Orleans jazz is perplexing, and their later medley of "When the Saints Go Marching In" that launched the second half of the program wasn't as inspirational as the version played by the seven-member Preservation Hall group. The Orchestra redeemed itself while playing with the jazz band (as if I have any musical knowledge that would allow me to make these remarks!).
My favorite piece was "St. James Infirmary." Wow. Anyone who didn't have the blues before that number started was drenched in shades of navy, robin's egg, and azure by the time it was over. The jazz band and two vocal soloists--their trumpet player and their sax player--yanked everyone's guts out with a painfully sad rendition.
The concert ended with the jazz band leaving the stage and going down and around the aisles while playing "When the Saints Go Marching In". A number of audience members joined the parade, which reminded us of the kiddie parade featured at the St. Peter High School Indoor Marching Band Concert each year. Except last night there were a couple of looney tunes who were sitting near us who jumped out in the aisle and got in the way of the some of the musicians. That must happen rather often, as the trumpet player and the sax player maneuvered around the potential jazz terrorists with grace and alacrity. It was great fun, and even the drive home didn't seem so long as I'd anticipated.

Today I got my share of pre-tax preparation work completed. Now Larry/Dad/Grandpappy can take over. We changed the rugs in the sunroom so it feels more like spring, and I vacuumed up the bugs that had taken refuge under the furniture out there and later succumbed to cold temperatures over the winter. So, a nice weekend is almost over. I have work to do tonight for school, and then more of it tomorrow. On Thursday, Elisabeth and Hannah will magically appear. I'm looking forward to kids, toddlers, and twins next weekend (and a week of spring break afterward to recover!!).
2 comments:
Sounds like a fun time! Was Dad one of the "looney tunes" who got up and danced in the aisle? Wait, that means they would have played the Mexican Hat Dance.
What a fun trip! Sorry about the conservatory, though. :-( Do I ever remember that peach satin dress!
Post a Comment