Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A day with two little boys

Gpappy/Larry/Dad and I spent the day on Oliver Avenue with Mr. Ethan and Mr. Owen, two adorable 16-month-olds we all know and love. CP and APP needed a back-up for the boys in case Owen's brief illness wasn't over yet. Grandma Dar had fun with O and E on Tuesday, and we took the job on Wednesday. Happily for all, Owen was feeling much better and Ethan showed no signs of the virus, so playing was the order of the day. There was lots going on, including...

sending texts to Mommy...

making phone calls to Daddy...

lots and lots of reading...

tickling Grandpappy's toes...

taking advantage of G'pappy's head massage service...

getting tips about riding a police motorcycle...

and being cute!









On another topic,

While with Ethan and Owen today, I got a call from Gpa CReps. It was an unintentional call--he had pushed the speed dial for my cell phone number and hadn't realized it. The call terminated before he knew I was on the other end, so I called him back to find out if he was trying to reach me. In true Gpa style, he said, "Nope." But, he was amenable to talking, so we did.

A few days ago he told me that Wayne Fenske, the high school football coach in Spring Valley, was planning to bring all 50 Kingsland football players to the Care Center at 7:00 on Tuesday morning so Gpa CReps could give them a pep talk. I asked him what he thought about that, and he said he was okay with it. He's pretty much unflappable. This morning when I returned his call, I asked how it went. He said each player shook his hand, introduced himself and said what position he played, and afterward Wayne presented him with a new football signed by all the players. I don't know if there was a photo op, but if so, I'll post a picture at a later date. Pretty sweet thing to do, and obviously Gpa CReps enjoyed it.
 ---------------------------
I asked Mark, Mike, and Mary Jo if they'd heard anything from Gpa Charlie about this, and here is my brother Mike's version:

I talked to Dad last night right before the Twins game and the first thing I happened to ask him was if anyone stopped by.
"Yeah, but I don't remember who."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah.... oh that's right, 50 football players from SVHS came by for a pep rally."
I figured this was it. Dad finally slipped off the deep end. I didn't understand what he said, so he repeated it again to me.
"There were NOT 50 football players there to see you," I said to him.
"Oh yes there were."
"I suppose there were cheerleaders, too?" I asked sarcastically.
"Nope. No cheerleaders."
"Why not?"
"Because they don't have cheerleaders any more at SV."
"You're serious about the 50 football players?"
"Yep." He went on to tell me Wayne Fenske brought the team by the Care Center. He met them out in the common area, they all introduced themselves and gave him a signed football. He said it was really something. He thought Wayne was pretty nice to do that for him.
Then a classic Dad reaction.
"Just what I need. A football." I told him to hang on to it, one day one of those signatures might be worth something. He agreed. It sounded like he had a great day!
 

--Mike

4 comments:

Charlie said...

Thanks again for the fun day with the boys!!! They were still giggling when they woke up today!

That's a great little story about C.Reps. It's pretty neat to think of all those boys saying hi to him - and to know that he might have coached some of their grandparents!!!

Teresa Saum said...

That's a great story about your dad, Jill. What an honor for him.

espd said...

Wow - fabulous photos and a hilarious story - what a post! :-) Classic C Reps is right!

apg said...

Why didn't I see this post sooner? I could've used the pick-me-up a few days ago when you wrote it - the pictures of Da Boyz and then the stories about Gpa CReps are all fabulous! Thanks for sharing :)