The annual recognition and retirement dinner at Gustavus was held last evening in Alumni Hall. Listening to the intros of faculty who are retiring is always a lesson in the history of Gustavus, since some of the retirees have been teaching there for 40 or more years. Nice to see friends and colleagues we haven't seen for a while, too. E, C, and A: I talked to Marilyn Robertz (VA Barnes' daughter), who told me she is now the age Virginia was when she moved out of her house (83). Marilyn's eyes are fine, by the way.
The college also recognizes years of service for 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40 years. A couple of weeks ago, I happened to notice on the list that came via email of those being recognized that I was in the 10 years of service group. Hmmm... I started in the Education Department in the fall of 1999, and that makes it 12 years, not 10, but who's counting? I just figured I wasn't on the list two years ago because of my "not-a-real-faculty-member" status. But now, at 12 years, when I'm an adjunct, I'm caught up. Annie wondered which two years don't count. Ha ha!
Over the years, Dad/Paco has gotten gifts to acknowledge his years or work at Gustavus, most recently the retirement rocking chair, and before that a beautiful Orrefors vase, and before that a watch with the Gustavus seal on its face. For my 10 + 2years, I thought I was going to get a paperweight with the Gustavus seal on it, but this year the gift is a lovely leather folder, pictured below. Charlie has one, and I have coveted it (much as I coveted the bag described in my last blog entry), so now I have one of my own and who knows what I'll write in it!
5 comments:
This is actually not leather, but a much less expensive material called "adjunct hide". It is skinned from a member of a tribe of nomadic educators skilled at hunting and gathering, that migrates around the country every summer. They are not hard to catch when promise is used as bait, but they can be tricky to clean.
After reading Real Paco's, I can't remember what I was going to write. Oh well! Congratulations!
Nice gift! I don't have one of those... that's too fancy for a guy like me!
:)
Oops, I take back what I said about you having one. I was sure you got one when you got on the Alumni Board. Well, sorry about that!
Congrats, Mama. Whether leather or pleather or whatever godawful material Paco is descrbing, it's beautiful and much-deserved!
Post a Comment