I am on the cusp of deciding to take a nap, and I think it's going to happen. This has been a beautiful weekend, weather-wise and family-wise. I won't go into all the details because if you're in my family, you know them. Mostly I'm happy that Annie had her surgery on Thursday and is not waiting and worrying for Monday's originally scheduled date. Things are looking good for her, and she's looking good. Let's keep it that way!
Friday started out with two little boys coming early to spend the morning, and two more little boys showing up to play not long after. It was a cousin-fest, and unfortunately a busy enough one that I didn't take any pictures. Thanks to Grandpa Dave and Grandma Doreen for letting Westy share in the fun for a while. He loves those bigger boys!
On Friday afternoon I drove to Spring Valley for the re-dedication of Reps Field, the local high school football field. A new sign and scoreboard now pay tribute to Gpa Charlie and all that he did for the school and the community while he and Grandma Bene lived, worked, and raised a family in Spring Valley. Mark, Kathy, Karla, Paul, Mike, Margot, and I were glad to be a part of the event.
Before the re-dedication ceremony, Dr. Henry Plummer, a graduate of Spring Valley High School around 1900, was named to the school Hall of Fame. Interesting to find out that this is the same Dr. Plummer that the Plummer Building on the Mayo Clinic campus is named after. Everyone comes from somewhere!
Saturday was Homecoming at Gustavus, intertwined with the Sesquecentennial Celebration of the college. Lots of hoopla, football, Chemistry Department Symposium, Education Department get-together for alumni and two-year-olds, trips to the BookMark, etc., etc.

Today there was a bit of time for play for the Potts and Grimmius boys before Angie, E, and O took off for Northfield to celebrate Grandma Dar's birthday. I won't say which one, but she had the big 5-0 last year. Happy Birthday, Darla! The boys have been practicing singing "Happy Birthday to You", and I'm sure they'll serenade you all through supper.
While E and O waited for Miles and Westy this morning, they played with Matchbox vehicles resurrected from storage in the shed since their daddy last stopped playing with them when he was about 21. Ha ha!
Thanks to Charlie for helping finish off the persistent devil plant we've been trying to eradicate since June-- gooseneck loostrife. The battle has involved eco-friendly and non-eco-friendly chemical applications, an attempt to suffocate it with black plastic and summer heat, and all manner of digging, swearing, and sacrificial rituals. Last week Larry/Dad/Paco/Grandpappy hit his limit of putting effort into the cursed plant plot and called in reinforcements. Charlie did the last of the digging work today and folded in bags of compost manure to prep the soil for non-invasive flower species. We won't do any planting this fall, but I look forward to following LaVonne's design plan in the spring.
Charlie dug while his admirers looked on.
I had a special surprise for four of the cousins today. The Kingsland booster club gave out little footballs at the Homecoming parade on Friday. I didn't get to Spring Valley in time for that event, but when I asked one of the booster club folks if there were any left, she went to her car and got six footballs for me to give to the cousins. Hannah and Viv have to come to MN to claim theirs! Cindy, if you're reading this, even after all these years it seems soooo strange not to see Spring Valley Wolves on the scoreboard, the footballs, etc.
Here are the boys with their new footballs.
Serious looking, don't you think?
The photographer must have thought so, too.
Looks like she cracked a joke that went over Westy's head.
Tonight we're going to have supper with some friends. A great lasagna lunch delivered late this morning by another wonderful friend means I really got off the hook with cooking today. I could get used to it.
About that nap: This little entry has taken me over an hour. No nap for the slow-writing blogger, I'm afraid. Happy week ahead.





2 comments:
Great picture of the little boys!
To Westy's defense, he's short...so most jokes go over his head :)
Thanks for the lovely weekend. We sure had a nice time.
Love you and miss you.
xoxoxo
Post a Comment