This isn't a blog entry. It's a complaint. On Friday I got a bill from the ophthalmologist I'd visited a little over a week ago. Dr. Horton retired last summer, and he was replaced by a 12-year-old eye doctor who wants me to call him Dr. Fullofhimself while he calls me Jill. Considering how I'm five times his age, it seems a bit awkward. Actually, I'm not complaining about the newbie or the eye exam. It's the bill for over $200 that irks me, especially after paying around $400 for new lenses. I expected the hefty lens cost for my graduated lenses made out of shatter-proof miracle material with rolled and polished edges, anti-glare coating, and whatever else I was talked into. I have terrible vision and have been wearing glasses since I was in second grade, so it's hardly a surprise to pay that much for glasses, but more than $200 for an eye exam? Oh, and my insurance paid $32 of that amount. Ugh.

4 comments:
Sounds like I should've been an eye dentist!
That seems really high. Don't you get one free exam a year? We do...or did. It was probably a cost-cutting measure for the insurance company. Regis got his last pair of glasses online for 32 bucks. He is really happy with them. Of course, you'd have to arm wrestle the twelve-year old for your prescription!
Sounds like Dr. Horton needs to hear a Who. Threaten to complain about his office on facebook and I bet you'll get all eyecare hoopla for free for the rest of your life.
Since I inherited the bad eye genes from you, I feel your pain. I'm very picky about optomotrists and opthomologists. Finally switched to someone at the Owatonna Clinic and will never leave! They've got a good system in place. Maybe check out the Mankato Clinic?
WOW. That was some bad spelling.
Try "optometrist" and "opthamologist". Yeow. Better go take out my contacts.
xoxoxo
Post a Comment