Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mysteries for today

There are many mysteries in life that cannot be explained. I guess that's why they're mysteries. Two such mysteries occurred for me today. The first one came in the form of an email from Scholastic.com's password reminder link, reminding me of account password which it said I had requested. Only I didn't request it. I remember my password. I emailed customer service and got an reply  from Annabelle, who told me (in part): "Please know that we do not have names of people who request passwords. The reason being is that when people request a password, they have that accounts email address, and with having the email address we assume that it is the person whose account it is."  I'll bet it took her a while to come up with the awkward second sentence that contains the word "is" three times. Okay then. It's a mystery as to how how I--the person whose account it is--am not the person who requested the password. Time to cancel the account, the reason being is that I no longer use it. Oh, Annabelle...did I say it right?

The second mystery is why a lovely flower like the magnolia blooms on a bush that does not have leaves. I've complained about this for as long as we've had our magnolia bush, and yet it absolutely WILL NOT grow leaves until after the flowers have budded, bloomed, and withered. The bush looks like a pile of sticks with some blooms super-glued on as an afterthought. The blossoms beg to be accompanied by beautiful dark green leaves. A mystery.





3 comments:

lljone said...

Beautirful blossoms! It looks like spring has really arrived in St. Peter!

espd said...

Why are azalea bushes so gorgeous when in bloom (with leaves, sorry) and so scraggly for the other 50 weeks of the year? And why are they all over our front yard? Are we going to replace them with something less scraggly? Ugh.

concerned apg said...

Think of how many times Annabelle has had to provide that same explanation to other people in your situation... And all of Annabelle's coworkers who have had to provide that same explanation to other people in your situation... I bet they dread it. Probably takes them 13 minutes to type the damn sentence. And each time they probably ask themselves "How did I say explain it before?" Couldn't someone at Scholastic clean it up a bit and give those poor souls a statement that can simply be copied/pasted and used over and over again?! Sigh.