Friday, October 26, 2007

It's almost Hannahween!

Here's a poem/song about Halloween from childhood--"Everything is Black and Gold" written by Nancy Byrd Turner (I wonder what kinds of byrds she turns...crows?). I thought about it today when I was in class with my methods students, and now I wonder if they learned it in kindergarten or first grade, too. Did you?

Everything is black and gold,
Black and gold, tonight;
Yellow pumpkins, yellow moon,
Yellow candlelight;

Jet-black cat with golden eyes,
Shadows black as ink,

Firelight blinking in the dark
With a yellow blink.

Black and gold, black and gold,
Nothing in between -

When the world turns black and gold,
Then it’s Halloween!


Recently Evan and Elisabeth sent pictures of a Hannah Halloween costume fashion show, so here's the Hannah-version of Turner's poem...

Hannah Rachel is pink and sweet,
Pink and sweet and soft;
She’s a peapod, next a cow,
poofy princess, scarecrow now.

Balding head and deep blue eyes,
Diapers filled with poo,

Smiling and posing for us all
With an occasional drool.


Pink and sweet, pink and sweet,
She smells so baby-clean.
Because she's a special treat,
It’s always Hannahween!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the nice poem, Grandma Jill! I love you!

p.s. BOO! :-)

Anonymous said...

If you think Hannahween is fun, wait until Hannakkah!