Speaking of polls, the big news in the area newspaper today is that the results of the Reader's Choice 2008 polls are in, and artfully published in a special supplement to the Free Press. Naturally I dug right in to find out the best "Place for that power business lunch" and which movie theater won in the "Seeing the latest cinema" category (Honorable mention went to Cinemagic in St. Peter. Huh? The place where the movie is in focus about half the time, and the sound level rivals a jet engine?).
Here's why I love the Mankato area. The results of "Where to take out-of-towners to show off area" are:
1. Minneopa Falls [Not a bad choice. Nature is nice.]
2. Maverick Hockey Game [Can you hear me screaming?]
3. Downtown Bar District, Mankato [Lord, hear my prayer.]
I can't decide which I appreciate more in this one, the spelling or the #2 choice: for best "Coffee/ Cappaccino"
1. Caribou Coffee
2. Kwik Trip [voted in by the sophisticates who haven't tried McDonald's "cappaccino" yet, I would imagine]
3. Dunn Brothers
At least the 7200 readers who voted (that's right--over 7000 people in the area can read) had the good sense to choose Chipotle as their first choice for fast food. On second thought, maybe a guy shouldn't trust a a crowd that generates enough votes for HyVee to take Honorable Mention for "Best Asian food". I hope they mean the buffet, and not the grocery aisle.
Disclaimer: It is not 2004 and we don't live in South Bend.
Dang it, a city plow the size of an International Harvester combine just went by and shoved a heap-o-snow at the end of the driveway. Time to close the blinds and hope it goes away. Family...any news to share? It's pretty dull reading about the Reader's Choice Awards and snow plows going by...
2 comments:
My mom raves about the Chinese food at the HyVee all the time. That would be the HyVee in Marshall but maybe it's part of their corporate thing. It makes a guy wonder about the Reader's Choice Awards. 7000 people had opinions about the coffee at Kwik Trip?
I think the coffee at Kwik Trip is cheap, so that's why people like it so much. I must admit that I'm a "dirty cappuccino" drinker - that's what a I call the kind from gas stations. They're cheap in terms of both quality and cost, taste nothing like the real thing, but are ohsogood. I like mixing all of the flavors with a little dirty hot chocolate - fortunately the dirty hot chocolate spigot is right next to the dirty cappuccino machines.
Anyway... people around here would vote the Owatonna HyVee in as the best place for Chinese food. Wierd. Teresa must be right that it's a corporate thing. I doubt the high school kids working the counter are REALLY that good in the kitchen.
Post a Comment