Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year, one and all

A peek out into the sunroom this morning revealed what first seemed to be glass bits scattered all over the floor and a spray of barf on the ceiling. My first thought was that New Year's Eve revelers had broken in last night. "Revelers" conjures up an image of party-goers with noise-makers and paper hats roaming the streets in a wild state of mayhem. I mentally pictured drunken revelers wandering up Church Street just after midnight, peering in windows to find just the right place to kick off 2009 by creating chaos that would go down in St. Peter history. "Yup, Ernie, I remember way back in 'ought nine, your great-great grandparents' sun room was the scene of New Year's revelry we haven't seen the likes of since, and aren't likely to ever see again."

The crime scene:
The picture I took of the floor with its supposed glass chunks and shards (oops, I almost wrote "sharts") strewn from one end of the room to the other doesn't do justice to the destruction. Neither does the picture of the ceiling, but at least you can see some of the icy, frozen spray stuck there during the wild activity that took place while we peacefully slept. The spray was EVERYWHERE..all down the shades on the patio side of the room, to the top of and half way across the painted wall, as far away as the fireplace, covering the back, top, and seat area of the smaller couch, on and under the table, on the two floor lamps from top to bottom, in both sliding door tracks, and more.

The culprits:

Needless to say, we haven't used the sunroom for a few days because of cold temps. In order to clean up without everything melting and dripping or soaking into fabric and such, I've been out there cleaning up in the cold. I swept up as much of the ice as I could, washed the walls and the ceiling, and have one of the shades cleaned. I'm warmed up now, so it's time to go back out and wash the other pop-soaked shade, do one more sweep of the floor, then warm the room up so the small puddles of cherry Pepsi that are frozen to the floor can melt and I can wash the floor without the water freezing. Hey-- maybe that would be a good idea--we could turn the room into a skating rink.

Ooooohhhhhh..I suddenly had a flashback to a New Year's Day many years ago when a couple of kids I know kicked a can of blue paint down the stairs into the basement. Anybody else remember??

9 comments:

Teresa Saum said...

Oh my word. I couldn't wait to find out what the cause was so had to skip down fast and read it. Yikes. Pop will do that? Lovely mess.

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall a certain baby rolling cans of Diet Pepsi around on the floor in the sunroom last week... could s/he (who will remain nameless) be responsible?
:-0

Teresa Saum said...

Larry should learn to projectile vomit in a vertical manner so it's easier for you to clean up. Hahahahaha. Oh, I crack myself up.

Teresa Saum said...

I meant horizontal.

Anonymous said...

Oh great ESPD, blame Miles for the mess. Just like the puke/butt water Thanksgiving incident was his fault...right!?!

Angie said...

This is kind of funny because my mom and I came home to an eerily similar incident in Northfield. The plastic bottles of Diet Coke exploded all over their sunroom in sharp, frozen chuncks!

Anonymous said...

The paint can incident happened on New Year's Day? Keep in mind that Charlie's original intentions were to kick ME down those stairs...think of what a mess THAT would have made. The paint can darn near saved my life.

Charlie Potts said...

Yes, it was Jan 1, 1995. Annie pretended that I pushed her and she kicked the can down the steps. I had to help clean up instead of watching USC play in their bowl game.

I think the exploding coke is cool. Maybe it can be a new game we all play next Christmas! The HGE can also be the rules coordinator for the new game.

And which one of our children will name their child "Ernie"???

Brandon & Natalie said...

You guys have the BEST stories. This was a story to make me laugh today. Thanks!