Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Spring Valley Story, continued

I have a very small readership for this blog, but one of the more demanding readers sent an email today telling me to get on the stick and write something, that's it's been a week since I last wrote. Yes, it has been. I've been busy. For the last couple of days I've been having fun with Miles, then Owen and Ethan. I didn't take pictures of them, though. What's the matter with me??

Yesterday I could have wished Annie and Tanner Happy Anniversary #4 on this blog. Happy Belated Anniversary, Annie and Tanner. And Doreen, Happy Belated Birthday to you, too. Next year I'll be fancier, and on time.

Okay, to appease the complaining blog reader, I thought I'd add a photo especially for her. No one else will appreciate it (except for me, of course). The trees are huge, so I couldn't get a good shot of the entire front.
This house is where my friend Cindy resided when she and I were kids on Huron Avenue. I thought it was the most exciting place to live, because she and her mom and dad (Barb and Don) lived in an upstairs apartment.

Arlene Lundby, aunt of our friend Merry Lundby (Yes, Merry. Not Mary.) lived downstairs, and entered her home through the door on the left. The door on the right was Cindy's door. I loved ringing the bell, waiting for Barb to say "Come in!" then climbing the stairs to their home.

Here are some things we did there:

Watched American Bandstand. We could have done this at anyone else's house and it wouldn't have been as cool. Cindy's living room had a great wall mirror, so we could watch ourselves dance to the tunes Dick Clark announced. Cindy watched herself dance A LOT! She was a great dancer, so all that watching paid off!

Stayed overnight in Cindy's great canopy bed. I remember it having a canopy, but I may be making that up. Cindy, help me out! I was in awe that she had a double bed and she was only one person!

Smoked my first cigarette--well, had a couple of puffs anyway--in Cindy's bathroom. The cigarette was a found object. We found it under an evergreen tree in my front yard, spilled from my mom or dad's cigarette pack, no doubt, and we rushed to Cindy's to smoke it. Her dad was sleeping in his bedroom (He must have been on the night shift at work.), and we quaked in fear that he'd wake up and smell it.

Went to a few parties there when Don and Barb were out of town. Cindy always had cute boyfriends who were older than we were, and they brought their friends to the parties. And they brought beer. Being the child of a teacher, I knew my ass would be grass if I got caught at a beer party, but since I didn't drink any of it, I took the chance.

I think Cindy's phone number was 2636. In the 1950's in Spring Valley, phone numbers were either three or four digits. Merry's was 431. Ours was 396. Simpler world back then.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Smoking and beer parties! I'll let you tell E and O these stories. :)
Just kidding - your Spring Valley post are fun to read - I love the memories you have.

Mary O said...

The Huron Street happenings sound very familiar. It may as well have been Marshall Avenue in St. Paul. A fun read!

espd said...

What a duo you guys were. What fun memories!