Saturday, April 9, 2011

Relatively speaking

Two blog entries in one day-- some kind of record for me, but today there is a bunch of relative news to report, starting with Uncle Don's visit (see previous entry).

We went to Rochester this afternoon for the 50th wedding anniversary celebration for my aunt and uncle, Mary Lou and Al Imm. Their wedding was in Winona on April 8, 1961, which happens to be my sister Mary Jo's birthday. She turned six that day, if I'm counting correctly. My dad, Mary Jo, Mark, and I went to the wedding, but Mom stayed at home, as she was pregnant and due any day. Dad devised a back-up plan for a friend to take Mom to the hospital if she went into labor, but Mike waited until the 18th-- he'll be 50 this year. OH MY! 

My aunt Marguerite was there, too, of course. The last time I saw Mary Lou and Marguerite was at Grandpa Charlie's funeral, so it was good to see them under different circumstances today. Marguerite is crazy about Miles, and so he and I talked to her while we enjoyed yummy cake that had a strawberry filling and really great sugary white icing. Marguerite finished her last bite, leaving a little mustache of icing on her upper lip. Miles promptly said to her, "Your face is messy!" That boy tells it like it is! We realized that Miles had an identical mustache on his lip, so I wiped it off. Marguerite noted that we'd stolen her napkin, so she couldn't clean her lip until Annie fetched another! We heard a few stories in the Marguerite tradition--part fantasy, part cop show--and all in all, we had a good time. Mary Lou seemed happy that we were there, and I was glad we were, too. It is sad not to see Grandpa Charlie when we go to family events, so it was nice to spend time thinking and talking about him today.

Here we are!

Miles and Marguerite, checking each other for messy faces


Annie, Westy, Mary Lou, Gma Jill, Miles

After a quick stop at the new Trader Joe's, we went back to Owatonna for a yummy dinner featuring various flavors of brats, grilled by Chef Tanner, and Annie's brownies with chocolate chips inside and  pink pig sprinkles on top.


Miles, trying out my necklace

 Westy chewing, chewing, chewing

2 comments:

apg said...

I love it! Thanks for the fun trip to Roch to celebrate A&MLs anniversary. I think Miles likes the idea of having a party at a church, so we might have to look for some more 50th anniversary parties soon. We'll bring you along.

xoxoxo

lljone said...

Really cute pictures! It looks like you had a very Happy Easter at your house.