Sunday, August 21, 2011

An August Sunday

While Hannah and Vivi were frolicking on the beach, swimming, and eating sand, here's what was going on, in part, with the MN cousins:

E and O helped Gpappy water plants this morning. A bucket of water and measuring cups are perfect gardening tools for these two-year olds. They learned the fine art of watering from their mommy, at their Richfield house.


The little guys are quite reflective about their work.

Here they are on this lovely Sunday morning, watering hostas.

You might enjoy a video that highlights their technique. I think I'll share it with my friend LaVonne, who is a master gardener.



Later in the morning we traveled to Otown to go with Miles and Westy to near-by Oxbow Park, where we saw many wild animals native to Minnesota. Here's one of the fluffier wild critters we encountered. When in captivity, this particular species is known for its piercing shriek that causes neighbors to fear for their safety. Hard to believe that an innocent-looking creature like this one could emit such powerful noises, but I've heard it myself, folks, and I'm not exaggerating!


Fortunately, the little critter has an understanding mommy who lets him roam freely from time to time.


Not to mention a watchful big brother who keeps the wild one safe, more or less.


In addition to animals to talk to and observe, the park has other interesting attractions, including this old home. The park is green, lush, and well maintained. If the road into the area weren't blindingly dusty, it would be absolutely perfect! Close enough, however.


Annie has better pictures from this afternoon's adventure, so check in with her soon (hint, hint) for more animals to enjoy.
------------

P.S. The last time Gpappy and I went to Oxbow Park was three summers ago. Check out this blog entry from Sunday, August 31, 2008, to see Miles at age 9 months. Grandpa Charlie was there with us, too.

2 comments:

auntie annie said...

I love it!

espd said...

E & O will figure out a new way to "water" things before long, I'm sure! :-) Love the video of Miles and Westy crawling around together.