Sunday, September 25, 2011

Handymen

This was shed repair weekend in our backyard. Don filled up his pick-up with his big saw and some other tools and drove down from Forest Lake with Janet to lend his expertise. Dad/Larry/Grandpappy had done the lumber shopping for replacement wood in advance, and so other than the window breaking when they were going to re-trim it, there were no surprises. A neighbor behind us is replacing a worn deck this weekend, too, so the sound of saws and hammers filled the air. It's quiet now, as the afternoon draws to a close.

Out with the old trim and window...

And in with the new. Freshly cut trim installs easily.
Is it bad luck to take a picture through a ladder?


 Now THIS is bad luck:  two men and a nail gun!

Trim is completed.


Window in the back is installed--a job well done.
All that's left to do is to stain the wood.


While Don and Larry began work on the shed on Saturday afternoon, Janet and I went to see The Help, my second viewing and her first. It's a wonderful movie that is a strong compliment to the novel. I encourage you to see it, and to read the book. Book first.

Afterwards we met the carpenter brothers at Famous Dave's for supper. Dessert at home followed-- apple crostata with caramel sauce. This photo isn't the one I made, but it looked just like it. Yummy!

http://www.tablespoon.com/assets/recipe/r36400fp.jpg

This morning for brunch I made a spinach fritatta recipe I found on a food blog. It had a Greek feel to it, so I served it topped with a plop of sour cream (dang, shoulda used Greek yogurt!) and chopped Greek olives. Sweet rolls and a fruit combo of strawberries and blackberries finished off the brunch menu.
spinach-frittata4.jpg

Charlie, Ethan, and Owen made an appearance this morning, and we skyped with Hannah, Viv, Elisabeth, Evan, and Granmarge. Don and Janet know Marge, so it was great for all of us to have a conversation with her.

I've been thinking about Annie all day, and hope that she can find flavorful mushy foods that will satisfy her taste and nutrition wishes until the schnuggerette and it's accompanying hardware are removed and she can be further along the road to eating crunchy food again. Every day is a day closer to Doritos and salsa, honey.

4 comments:

Teresa Saum said...

Great food photos, Jill!

apg said...

Thanks mama... I love you. And I love Doritos, too, so thanks for the reminder that every day is one day closer to consuming some :)

Glad to hear the weekend went well and that the big boys didn't have an impromptu trip to the ER.

xoxoxo

Gppy said...

A great summary of the "2011 Shed Escapade", dear. I think "Handyboys" is closer. We had fun anticipating 3-Stooges moments carrying lumber and using the nail gun. You forgot to say there were no trips to the ER.

Thanks for helping me take the old junk lumber over to the construction landfill today! Next job is staining the shed!

espd said...

What a day! Love the story but am moderately disturbed by the photo of the handy men with the nail gun! :-0