Dad/Larry/Gpappy and I went to the U of MN today to celebrate the Gophers' victory over Indiana last night. Well, not really. Larry/Gpappy/Dad had to have a fasting blood draw at the U of MN hospital this morning, so our celebration for the basketball win was purely coincidental. It was pretty dang quiet on campus compared to what it must have been like last night.
After visiting the Cardiology Department for the blood draw, Gpappy/Dad/Larry and I had a late breakfast at the Uptown Diner, where any cholesterol level progress gained by fasting was surely wiped out. The food is diner-delicious in the best sense of the phrase, but that also means it doesn't involve lettuce. We each had an omelet, and I swear there was a pound of bacon in mine, and nearly a pound of cilantro. That's a lot of pork and green. I felt obligated to leave a generous portion of the omelet on my plate for health reasons, which leads me to suggest that if you go there, split an omelet with a friend. You'll both be happy you did. Here's Dad"s mug, and a mug of coffee.
The Uptown Diner is an interesting place for people watching, starting with our delightful waitress. She resembled Penelope on "Criminal Minds", but with a couple of nose piercings and glitter all over her face. Similar personality, too. Here's Penelope (I didn't get a photo of our waitress):
The entire time we were at the diner, I expected our old friend Ron Haxton to come through the door, since the place he used to work -- or may still work -- is only five blocks away. Now I'm feeling guilty that we didn't take a walk down the street to The Kitchen Window to see if he still works there, where he'd undoubtedly be teaching one of their cooking classes...maybe The Secrets of the Sushi Roll or Green Egg Cooking. Charlie and Angie saw Ron on Channel 9 News a week or so ago describing the perils of maneuvering along icy sidewalks in Uptown. The least I can do is share a picture of him. Here's Ron (for real, from his F***book page):
A trip to Cheapo's and another stop or two, and we were on our way home. For friends and relatives who don't live in Minnesota, it was a lovely weather day today. 39 degrees while we were in the Cities, and occasionally sunny. Spring is almost here!



1 comment:
Now THAT's the Haxton I remember. Hardly recognized him on the news clip you sent! :-0 Yay for the Uptown Diner. Delicioius!
Post a Comment