Sunday, November 9, 2014

Getting ready for snow

Everything that reminds us of spring, summer, and fall is tucked away, safe from the first blanket of white, predicted to appear tomorrow. 

Thanks to CP and APP for moving the motorcycle to the shed, getting out the snowblower, and hauling summer chairs and lonely golf clubs down to the basement. EP and OP raked leaves off the patio steps and assisted with the leaf blower, then got out the combine and processed the rows of corn stalks and cinnamon bread in the backyard. Don't ask. 

We appreciate all the assistance/assistants. After our helpers left to go to swimming lessons, Dad/Larry/Gpappy and I finished taking rakes and buckets and leaf containers to the shed and getting the garage in order so both cars can fit inside for the next several months. 


I'm choosing not to accept that we're starting the long winter wonderland that consumes nearly half of the year here in the Upper Midwest. I read somewhere that it is my right as a citizen of Minnesota to live in a fantasy world if I so choose. Okay, I didn't really read it, I just made it up to make myself feel better about the recent loss of the breathtaking fall colors we were lucky to enjoy for so many weeks during September and October. Gorgeous memories of mid-October...



For fun, here are the boy cousins, all of whom showered or bathed here within the last few days. Owen and Ethan, looking wild and wooly after showers.


 
And here are the Gwimmius boys (as Westy referred to himself and Miles yesterday), washing their hair in the tub.


It's always a good weekend when we see and/or talk to all six cousins. This afternoon we Skyped with Hannah and Vivi, who shared lots of information with us about the Bouncing Bulldogs, piano lessons, and a birthday party while they enjoyed lemon Italian ice. I took a shot of the screen instead of taking a screen shot (there's a difference), so pardon my finger at the top. Granmarge was visiting for the weekend, so we were happy to see her in Skype-person, too.


Back to the arrival of winter. Here's what the Weather Channel shows for us for tomorrow and Tuesday. Winter storm Astro?? Really??


FYI:  According to the Weather Channel, winter storms that affect at least 2 million people and cover at least 400 thousand square kilometers of territory are given names, and names are assigned in alphabetical order (like hurricanes). There is more potentially interesting trivia about all of this here.

Astro. Perfect name. Here's what I thought of immediately-- Astro, the Jetson's dog.


I'm done now. Time to dig out boots and warm socks and mittens.

1 comment:

lljone said...

Cute cousin photos and beautiful autumn foliage! I'm so glad you didn't get all that snow they predicted!