We haven’t seen much of either Doug or the kitty recently, but a few weeks ago there was a lot of mewing going on under the sunroom. Even with the lattice trim skirting the space between the sunroom and the ground, a clever cat -- Krisha’s or another--had squeezed through an opening and was serenading us in the evenings. One afternoon while the cat was out mousing, Dad/Paco, determined not to become the step-father of a litter of illegitimate baby kittens, closed up the gaps that might allow the cat to continue using the space under the sunroom as a motel.
Dad’s ploy worked. No more cat. No more whiny meows from under the sunroom. This could be the end of the story, but it’s not. Yesterday, our neighbor Mary (of Mary and Darrel, and my other brother Darrel) came over to ask me if I’d noticed a police car parked outside of their house several times in the past week. I’d seen it once, but since Darrel was in his yard raking and talking to the officer, I doubted that a domestic disturbance, a murder, or a burglary had taken place. What HAD taken place was a birth. Actually, multiple kitten births, under Mary and Darrel’s deck. The past few days, the mother cat and kittens took turns sunning themselves on the deck, prompting Mary and Darrel to call whatever version of Animal Control we have in St. Peter -- in this case, a cop with a cat cage. The officer has appeared three or four times to exchange empty cat cages for full ones, and now Mary and Darrel are down to one or two kitties to capture so the feline family can be reunited. The cat is likely a stray, since it wasn't wearing a cat collar. I might not have thought of summoning help to capture and care for the mother cat and her babies, but now I’ll know what to do if RW Miller’s cat shows up again.
7 comments:
I think Hannah wants a kitty for Christmas...
How about a big ol' white cat with nicotine stains on its sides and deck splinters on its back?
Hahahaha...great story! I love the image of Doug popping up behind your sunroom window with a cigarette in his hand.
That's SO funny! Glad the kitties are OK. I'll have Evan read this and comment. :-)
not. enough. love.
Dear nopets4u,
How can you deny that sweet little girl a kitty? I'll bet you even ration her time with Lambie Bear!
Wait. The cat knows how to smoke cigarettes? Cool.
Post a Comment