Friday, May 22, 2009

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

Today is my birthday. I'm not sharing the number publicly because it is so large it will take up all the room in this blog entry, but here are some hints:

I'm a Baby Boomer.
My age is an even number, and therefore divisible by 2.
Other factors include 3, 4, 5 6, 10, 15, and 30.
For most of you reading this, my age is considered OLD AGE.
For me, it is a number I'd rather ignore.

For the ten years I've been at Gustavus, I've given a final exam on my birthday 8 or 9 times. We have finals on Saturdays, too, so that accounts for it. Today I held my SS/LArts final in which students discuss teaching of writing and share a piece of writing from their Family Stories Projects, which is a semester-long assignment in which they learn about the teaching of writing and practice some of the strategies themselves. I have to say I wasn't completely enthusiastic about how it would go with this group, as I haven't felt as if much of what I've taught them this semester has been of value to them, especially since at least 1/3 of the class started out the semester with a dislike for or disinterest in writing of almost any kind. However, they surprised me with their efforts, and it was a really wonderful discussion and sharing of their writing.

The best part of the day was receiving a basket of Gerbera daisies (no relation to Mark & Christine) from four thoughtful grandbabies with excellent taste in flora, a balloon to add a cheery greeting--delivered to my office at work. I arrived home to an FTD box (I've never gotten one before!) with adozen cut Gerbera daisies and a pretty vase to put them in, compliments of some sweet North Carolina family members. Flowers everywhere! Thank you, one and all!


3 comments:

Ethan & Owen said...

happy 50TH, grandma!!!
:)

PulseofMN said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jill!
Love, Molly

Jill said...

It's so nice to have grandchildren who are competent in math in ways that count!