Because it is final exam time at Gustavus, I planned to grade projects on Saturday and Sunday, with a little respite on Sunday afternoon -- a visit from kids and babies for a birthday party (thanks for the nice thought). But, instead I ended up feeling feverish during the final I gave on Friday, continued with chills and fever Friday night, made a call to Dr. Aklund on Sat. morning followed by meeting him in Urgent Care, and then "landing in the hospital" (as our once-neighbor Bessie used to say, as we pictured ill people flying through the air) for the second time in two weeks to go after that pesky cellulitis again.
I was released this morning. I'm improving, but will need to do the IV antibiotics thing for several days as an outpatient. I had a reaction, presumably to the first antibiotic (Vancomycin--one I'd had last time, without a reaction), so had to switch to a different type of antibiotic (Rocephin). I have the rash-from-hell from my neck to my toes--it looks like a bad case of the measles. Note lovely skin tones in the photos below.
Lightest rash area is on my neck and upper chest.
Here's the rash-from-hell part. It looks like this on my back, too. Interesting to learn that this reaction to Vancomycin is called Red Man's Syndrome.
Which politically correct diagnostician named it, I wonder?!
Which politically correct diagnostician named it, I wonder?!
5 comments:
Dear Grandma,
Smear a little Bordeaux's Butt Paste all over that nasty rash and see what happens. It works like a charm for me! I know your rash isn't from a moist diaper, but what the heck. Maybe it'll keep you entertained.
I love you. Get healthy soon so we can play together!
Dear Grandma,
That rash looks like it hurts! We haven't seen an irritant like that since Annie! (Our daddy made us say that)...
Love,
Ethan & Owen
Dear Grandma,
Daddy just reminded me that May 22 was not only your birthday, but also "Rash Friday," he one year anniversary of the day I had to stay home from daycare with daddy because I had a random rash. Just a rash, nothing else. I realize your situation is much worse than mine, of course, but I find it interesting that you developed a rash right around the same time. Poor Grandma!
Miles' butt paste idea is a bit silly if you ask me, but it might feel good! :-0
I love you and hope you feel better soon!
Oh, Jill! I hope you feel better soon!
Molly
PS. You have the cutest grandsons!!
Ouch! And OMG! I wondered that I hadn't heard from you but figured you were just busy. Then I read that you landed int he hospital again! That is one nasty rash.
Post a Comment