Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hillcrest Drive is haunted!

Here's a Grandpa Charlie story from a conversation I had with him today.

Gpa Charlie: "I've discovered that my house is haunted."

Me: "Haunted? What do you mean by that?"

Gpa: "Well, on Halloween night I went to bed as usual, and a little after midnight I woke up from a deep sleep. I could hear what sounded like an alarm clock beeping. It wasn't the alarm in my bedroom, so I got up and went downstairs to try to find the noise. That's hard to do in the middle of the night, you know!

It turned out to be the alarm on the clock radio that Mark and Kathy gave me for the family room. Damn clock! I didn't set the alarm, so it must have been a ghost. I turned it off and went back to bed.

The next night a little after midnight I heard the alarm again! I got up, went downstairs, and turned off the alarm again, then went back to bed. Ghosts again, I guess.

The next night before I went upstairs to bed, I unplugged the clock so I wouldn't be awakened again. But...a little after midnight, there it was again! So I went downstairs and turned it off."

By then Gpa had figured out the clock had a battery, so he didn't blame ghosts anymore. Only I'm not so sure. Three nights: October 31 is Halloween. November 1 is All Saints' Day. November 2 is All Souls' Day. Pagans + Catholics = ghostly happenings!

Gpa Charlie's house


A more logical explanation is that Gpa Charlie reset the time on Halloween night because of the return to Central Standard Time and accidentally pushed a button that set the alarm. I'd buy that, except the ghost idea is more fun. The best part of the whole thing is that Gpa Charlie was peeved by the alarm clock/clock radio because the gigantic LED numbers on it for telling time are skinny blue threads and aren't readable from any distance, and not because of Gpa Charlie's age--they're just hard to read! So, he's now got a new small LED digital clock with readable numbers and NO BATTERY.

3 comments:

Lar said...

Danged clock. Danged battery. I'll give you ten bucks to call him up at midnight and tell him it's a courtesy wakeup call from the AmericInn.

espd said...

How funny! Poor Grandpa! This is almost as spooky as the smoke detectors saying "Hello Larry" in the middle of the night.

Chuck said...

Ha! That's a funny story. I think from now on anything weird that happens should be blamed on ghosts. Dad would be blaming a lot of funny noises on ghosts...