Bertha Amelia Johnson Potts, better known as Grams, would be 119 if she were alive today. She lived to age 89-1/2, which I mention only because on one of her birthdays in her mid-80's, Grams blew out her birthday candles and wished aloud to live to age 90. She almost made it. Annie, you never got to meet her, but you would have loved her, and the feeling would've been mutual!
Here is Grams as a young woman in 1917, standing behind her father, Nils, who is holding Great-Grandpa Larry.
Grams was a sweet and gentle soul with a distinctive and girlish giggle. She lived with Larry/Dad's family in Buffalo beginning in 1947, so she was a part of their lives even when Larry/Dad and Don were babies. She was a great solitaire player, loved to eat hot dogs for lunch, did crossword puzzles, and was an avid reader. Turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy were her dinner of choice when she went to restaurants. As a young woman, Grams went to a commercial college in Chicago to learn typing and bookkeeping and worked in a shop with her friend Viola for a short time. She was married to Walter Potts in 1912. When she was in her 60's and 70's, she lived with older ladies as a live-in caregiver. When I got to know her, she was a faithful soap opera watcher, and was eager to let me know that her favorite show had added some "Hawaiians" as characters. Enough said about that! :o )
Linda, you have lots of memories of Grams and I know the two of you had a special relationship. Nice to think about Bertha Amelia Potts today.


2 comments:
Cool history lesson, Ma! I obviously don't remember Grams, but certainly remember looking at lots and lots of pictures of her. She must have kept lil' Renny in line when he was a youngster...
Yes, Grams was a wonderful grandmother. I loved her dearly and have missed her greatly. I have many fond memories of her visits to us in Tennessee and later in North Carolina and Pennsylvania. We spent countless happy hours together talking, walking, and playing Scrabble and canasta. She loved to play games, work crossword puzzles, and read. She was always cheerful and optimistic, which inspired me to try to be that way, too. I feel very blessed that she was my grandmother. Happy birthday, Grams!
Post a Comment