I went to see the movie
Snow White and the Huntsman a couple of nights ago with Kris and Deb.
Being just beyond the senior citizen cutoff for discount movie tickets,
I'd say it was worth the $5.75 I paid to get in. When it's available
for rental through Netflix or from a Red Box, you may want to watch it,
too.
The
movie has some corny/odd moments--like a saddle-less white horse
appearing out of nowhere waiting to carry Snow White to safety. However,
if you watch it while keeping in mind that it's a fairytale, it works
pretty well. It's more like a combo fairytale and action/adventure movie
with comic relief. The special effects--including the mirror mirror on
the wall-- are great, and the way the Dark Forest scenery and special
effects are combined is really cool.
While watching it I couldn't help but think of some of the more sarcastic and cynical members of my family, who might want to add their own narration in certain parts. Or, possibly choose scenes to be satirized on Saturday Night Live. A scene of the six dwarves (I know there are supposed to be seven, but I can't give everything away) sloshing through the sewer to get into evil Queen Ravenna's castle surely would elicit humorous remarks from some of you. And, when Kristen Stewart (a.k.a. Snow White) bounded up perhaps ten flights on a steep circular staircase inside the castle while wearing full battle armor (No helmet, however. Sad choice, Snow W.) while carrying a sword in one hand and a shield in the other without getting winded, it was a moment made for SNL.
Charlize Theron is a fantastically evil queen in every possible way in this movie. She would crush Evil Pablo on the Backyardigans (Robot Repairman episode) with the flick of an eyelash. On the downside, I had a hard time believing her sort-of British accent. Both she and Snow White were on-again, off-again in the accent consistency department. Happily, the dwarves kept in character language-wise and size-wise.
I'm not really into the thumbs-up or number of stars type of rating for movies, but I would recommend it as good entertainment. For me, it opened up memories of reading Grimm and Anderson fairy tales when I was in elementary school and junior high. I had a collection of each, and read them over and over again. Especially Grimm's Fairy Tales. I no longer have the two volumes from my childhood, but I feel the urge to buy the books now and read the stories again. Disney prettied up the stories--I was a fan of the darker tales. Maybe that's why I am drawn to cop shows like the Homicide, Life on the Streets series, Criminal Minds, and the many Law and Order shows. Someday when I undergo psychoanalysis, I'll find out for sure.
While watching it I couldn't help but think of some of the more sarcastic and cynical members of my family, who might want to add their own narration in certain parts. Or, possibly choose scenes to be satirized on Saturday Night Live. A scene of the six dwarves (I know there are supposed to be seven, but I can't give everything away) sloshing through the sewer to get into evil Queen Ravenna's castle surely would elicit humorous remarks from some of you. And, when Kristen Stewart (a.k.a. Snow White) bounded up perhaps ten flights on a steep circular staircase inside the castle while wearing full battle armor (No helmet, however. Sad choice, Snow W.) while carrying a sword in one hand and a shield in the other without getting winded, it was a moment made for SNL.
Charlize Theron is a fantastically evil queen in every possible way in this movie. She would crush Evil Pablo on the Backyardigans (Robot Repairman episode) with the flick of an eyelash. On the downside, I had a hard time believing her sort-of British accent. Both she and Snow White were on-again, off-again in the accent consistency department. Happily, the dwarves kept in character language-wise and size-wise.
I'm not really into the thumbs-up or number of stars type of rating for movies, but I would recommend it as good entertainment. For me, it opened up memories of reading Grimm and Anderson fairy tales when I was in elementary school and junior high. I had a collection of each, and read them over and over again. Especially Grimm's Fairy Tales. I no longer have the two volumes from my childhood, but I feel the urge to buy the books now and read the stories again. Disney prettied up the stories--I was a fan of the darker tales. Maybe that's why I am drawn to cop shows like the Homicide, Life on the Streets series, Criminal Minds, and the many Law and Order shows. Someday when I undergo psychoanalysis, I'll find out for sure.

No comments:
Post a Comment