Around 3:00 this morning I was awakened by a mechanical-sounding female voice that said, "Hello, Larry." Nah. Only my imagination. I drifted slowly back to sleep, and again heard, "Hello, Larry" uttered by the same voice. I nudged Larry/Dad/Paco/Grandpappy and asked, "Did you hear that??" He had heard it, and he told me it was the voice of the smoke alarm saying, "Low battery." Sure enough, that's what it was.
Part II: Hair spiders
The hair spiders are back. It's been a couple of years since their last appearance, and their return took me by surprise. The first time hair spiders invaded was in the fall of 1999, as I recall, and in ten years they've visited about three times. A hair spider is a ball of hair. They form this way:
1. Wash and rinse your hair.
2. After rinsing, spread the fingers on both hands and run them through your hair from underneath, lifting hair as you go.
3. Put palms together and move hands in a circular motion, gradually forming a hair spider with the hairs that you've collected in step 2.
4. Stop rolling hair when you've formed a spider body and have hair ends swirling off in such a way that makes them appear to be spider legs.
5. Remove from palm and flush.
Normal hair loss is about 100 hairs per day, so you are probably saying to yourselves, "What is she concerned about?" Well, the hair spiders form in addition to hair that falls out from brushing, combing, hurricane force winds on the Gustavus hill, etc.
I did a little research and found out that increased hair loss can be caused by a variety of events, such as stress (not me) and a prolonged high fever. It may take a few months before the hair actually falls out after a fever, and now I'm thinking that two bouts I had with with cellulitis with an accompanying fever might be the culprit. Or, maybe it's something else. Who knows? Here's a hair spider for your perusal. This particular critter looks more like a hair scorpion, however.
1. Wash and rinse your hair.
2. After rinsing, spread the fingers on both hands and run them through your hair from underneath, lifting hair as you go.
3. Put palms together and move hands in a circular motion, gradually forming a hair spider with the hairs that you've collected in step 2.
4. Stop rolling hair when you've formed a spider body and have hair ends swirling off in such a way that makes them appear to be spider legs.
5. Remove from palm and flush.
Normal hair loss is about 100 hairs per day, so you are probably saying to yourselves, "What is she concerned about?" Well, the hair spiders form in addition to hair that falls out from brushing, combing, hurricane force winds on the Gustavus hill, etc.
I did a little research and found out that increased hair loss can be caused by a variety of events, such as stress (not me) and a prolonged high fever. It may take a few months before the hair actually falls out after a fever, and now I'm thinking that two bouts I had with with cellulitis with an accompanying fever might be the culprit. Or, maybe it's something else. Who knows? Here's a hair spider for your perusal. This particular critter looks more like a hair scorpion, however.
4 comments:
I'll deal with hair spiders before I deal with mice. Yuck.
Does hair fall out because of low batteries in the smoke detector?
You're probably just having your pre-winter shed. Doesn't make sense, but it happens!
I shed like that every day, Ma. But I don't wad it up and give it a name...
I'm glad I wasn't eating when I read this post. I probably would have thrown up a little. Take that picture of your new spider OFF the blog!
p.s. You have a smoke detector that talks?! Very cool. Too bad it doesn't say "put the dishes away, Larry" or "take out the trash, Larry."
Post a Comment