Saturday, September 19, 2009

Morning glories in September

We've got a morning glory vine in a long planter sitting on the stairway railing outside the sun room. For about 10 weeks I waited for the deep red flowers to appear, per the picture that came with the "Scarlet O'Hara Morning Glory" plant. When they began to blossom a few weeks ago, the flower color didn't match the picture on the plant card, nor pictures online. I think it is because Scarlett O'Hara spelled her name with two t's, not just one, and you know how finicky a southern belle can be. The flowers are lovely, no matter the color, and the plant loves September weather. Like most morning glory vines and climbers, the flowers close mid-day, although with the sun lower in the sky in early autumn, they stay awake a little longer.

3 comments:

lljone said...

How lovely sight to have outside your sunroom! Thanks for sharing the beauty.

Teresa Saum said...

I love morning glories bu rarely plant them. I'm not so good with seeds. Yours are beautiful, Jill...no matter the number of Ls!

espd said...

Prety! :-)