Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Come and get it!

Mr. Wolf's Eye-talian meatloaf was on the menu for supper tonight. Dad/Paco/Larry/Mr. Wolf created his signature dish years ago, but rarely prepares it anymore. It's a dang shame because he makes a mean meatloaf.

Whenever I ask Mr. Wolf what's in the meatloaf he says it's a secret--which is exactly what he said tonight.
I'm all for recipes that are so special the creator won't share the ingredients, but when I hear "It's a secret," I think back to Bessie Jacobs, our neighbor on Chatham Street (may she rest in peace). Bessie often made kolakys (pronounced "ko LACH kees), a Czech pastry filled with cooked apricots or prunes or poppy seeds (poppa seeds, in Bessie's words). Sometimes when I asked Bessie what was in a particular batch of kolackys, she'd respond, "It's a secret. I cleaned out the refrigerator today," implying all sorts of disgusting possibilities.

Mr. Wolf assured me that his secret ingredients were herbs that we have in the cupboard, that I use myself in cooking. What a relief! If you're interested in enjoying Mr. Wolf's Eye-talian Meatloaf, make a reservation and he'll be happy to serve you!



3 comments:

apg said...

We had Grandpa Charlie's Never Fail Meatloaf for supper on Monday night. I can tell you there were no secret ingredients used...unless Miles or Tanner snuck something in when I wasn't looking.

We want to try Grandpappy's version. Hook us up!

Mary Jo said...

Matt's fav. But, Mare still makes the "salad", right, Lar?

espd said...

I remember having lots of fun making Mr. Wolf's meatloaf, but it was so long ago that I don't remember the secret ingredients!