Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It's Wednesday

I changed the background on my blog again because the blue sky and sunshine seems more cheerful than raindrops. Besides, the real sky is blue and beautiful today.

Not much to say, since I've been in touch with nearly everyone about Gpa Charlie's side trip to St. Mary's Hospital for the past week. He should be on his way to Spring Valley with Mark about now, if all went as scheduled. He'll be in the Spring Valley Senior Living facility for therapy for a week? two weeks? all depending on how fast he regains strength and energy. He wasn't much of a complainer while in the hospital, even though by Monday he was itching to get out. Considering he hadn't been in a hospital as a patient since 1945, he handled the whole thing very well. In 1945, he was in a hospital in California for eye surgery-- a detached retina. He was a soldier boy then, and had finished his stint in Europe serving as the Burgermeister of the small German town where he met the lovely Maria, who could have been our mother. Well, she couldn't have been for real, but he hadn't met Irene Kirsch yet, and you know those WW II romances.... 

I need to spend the afternoon turning on the steam to get my office packed up so the next occupant can move in at the end of June. I had hopes of doing this whole packing thing in some sort of orderly way, but that idea has gone to hell the way most of my visions of sugarplums do. 
Here's something for you all to read...decadence has a place in the world, but a $33,000 mattress?

ADDENDUM

At last we -- well, Dad actually did it-- assembled the toddler dining table for Hannah and Miles to christen this weekend. 

Here's Dad/Larry/Paco enjoying a pretend hamburger sandwich that Hannah put together while she was here and left in the cupboard set for him.
 

And, for dessert, a triple-decker made of the finest plastic helado money can buy! 

We'll get the other two chairs put together so they're ready for Ethan and Owen in the near future. When Hannah's baby sister and Miles' baby sibling arrive, it will be time for E and O to try out being big boys!

Hmmm... the table looks square in the photos, but it isn't. It's a rectangle.

4 comments:

lljone said...

Jill, I'm sorry to hear that your dad has been in the hospital. I send my best wishes for his rapid recovery.

espd said...

Thanks for putting the table together! The toddlers can't wait to use it. :-) I hope Grandpa's transition went smoothly. I'm sure he's happy to be out of the hospital!

Anonymous said...

Trying this again! I will call Dad this afternoon. I talked to Mark last night about the move with Dad. Sounds like you are very busy. I hope your headache went away! Talk to you soon. Mary Jo

Mary O said...

It's no fun dealing with these parental changes but it seems your Dad is moving in a good direction. I'll find out soon as I'm meeting you for coffee in 45 short minutes from now and I haven't even, well, you know. See you soon and I love watching Larry enjoy a good meal.