- Number of days since demo began: 37
- Ratio of work days to total non-work days is 18:37
- Ratio of work days to possible work days is 18:27
- Number of worker-men we've gotten to know:
- 1 carpenter
- 2 plumbers
- 2 floor tile guys
- 3 electricians
- 1 electrical inspector
- 1 counter-top measurer
- 5 counter-top installers
- 1 backsplash tile guy
- 1 store manager, and
- a partridge in a pear tree.
Matt and Josh the electricians are here. The country music is turned on and they're going right to work. I'm nervous because after the huge effort it took for Jeff the carpenter to install the vent hood, they have to finagle it to poke holes in the ceiling so they can drop wires to hook it up. They're intrigued by the circuit board in the vent hood the way a baby finds an electrical outlet fascinating. No shocks, please.
Overheard
from Josh: "I'm going to buy myself a stripper," followed by giggles
from Matt. To be fair, he was stripping wires at the time.
Not surprisingly, I ran
into a snag with the pendant lamp over the sink. Having put two pendants
in the bathroom, I was sure this one would also be adjustable, which it
is, but only in 12 inch increments because the wiring goes through
stable metal tubes rather than flexible tubing that can be cut. This means I can't hang
it at the level I would prefer, but it I can deal with it.
Question: How many people does it take to hang a pendant light? The answer is four; one to install it and three to disagree over whether it looks level or not.
Now that the lamp is up, I am not sure I like it. In an effort not to be too matchy-matchy, I chose a shiny finish rather than a brushed finish. I'll need to live with it for a few days before I decide to make a change or not.
I'll try a better angle in different lighting later on.
In another "not surprisingly..." situation, one of the wall switch plate/outlets can't be fitted with a cover plate because they don't make that particular combination. There is a solution for it, which I'm waiting to see.
We have more lighting in the kitchen than I anticipated. Having rarely used the former overhead light in the center of the ceiling, it's a big change to have recessed can lights instead. It's like being on the beach when they're on. We'll have a lot more under-cabinet lighting, which I know will be terrific, especially because the fixtures will be dimmable (Does that have one "m" or two?). Nothing like mood lighting for thawing frozen vegetables in the microwave oven.
Ooooh, I'm so nervous about these guys trying to finish the vent fan work! Matt had to go up into the attic and poke the wires through, and now he's apparently going to put the rest of the stainless steel wrap/shroud around the vent chimney. So many opportunities for dents and scratches. They're very careful and neat, but not even Jeff the experienced carpenter has put one of those puppies together before. These guys are in their 20's, so they have no fear. Good luck, boys.
Matt changed his mind and decided to leave the vent-finishing to
Jeff, deferring to his experience in problem-solving. I’m
relieved.
1:00
At 12:45 it was as if the Rapture had taken place. Fallen tool belts, drills left where they'd been set down...
In truth, after three hours and fifteen minutes of diligent work and singing along with country songs on their radio, Matt and Josh took off for lunch and to pick up an item at Menard's. They like to go shopping during their lunch break, which I remember from the other time they were here without Bill the electrician/boss.
At 12:45 it was as if the Rapture had taken place. Fallen tool belts, drills left where they'd been set down...
In truth, after three hours and fifteen minutes of diligent work and singing along with country songs on their radio, Matt and Josh took off for lunch and to pick up an item at Menard's. They like to go shopping during their lunch break, which I remember from the other time they were here without Bill the electrician/boss.
2:00-2:30
Matt and Josh the electricians finished up their work in 30 minutes and said adios. They'll send along the correct outlet cover with Jeff the carpenter when he comes back to put on the rest of the hood wrap/shroud and replace a slightly warped cabinet door. Until then, it's clean-up and put-away time.
End-of-day checklist:
Matt and Josh the electricians finished up their work in 30 minutes and said adios. They'll send along the correct outlet cover with Jeff the carpenter when he comes back to put on the rest of the hood wrap/shroud and replace a slightly warped cabinet door. Until then, it's clean-up and put-away time.
End-of-day checklist:
- Vent fan electrified, fan and lights working: Check
- All under-cabinet lighting installed: Check
- Dimmer switches installed for ceiling lights and under-cabinet lights: Check
- Outlet covers in place: Almost-check (one non-standard size is on order from supplier)
- Pendant light in place over sink: Check, for now, unless I decide to change it
At long last I may be able to keep the counter-top appliances and
other items in the kitchen rather than moving everything out on a regular basis. Whoopee!!!!



1 comment:
Wow! I thought I had a busy day until I read this blog entry. I'll bet you're ready to collapse on the sofa, if you haven't already! I hope your evening will be more restful than your day.
Post a Comment