We're promised action today. Countertop boys at 7:30 to put in the remaining kitchen countertops, and electricians at 8:00 to start working in the area that's already done.
8:20
No sign of Keith and the boys, but the electricians showed up. Oops, Larry looked out the window and saw the countertop truck show up, too. Good thing we have a huge kitchen to work in (not)! These guys are used to working in crowded conditions, and they can make new friends as well.
I've lost track of names. Everyone is different today except for one of the electricians. I hope they're all in the right place and aren't supposed to be in Waterloo, IA, instead.
Kudos to any of you who have built a house from scratch or remodeled an entire one. We didn't have a fraction of the decisions to make that you did, but I'm at the point of saying, "Put it anywhere, who cares what color it is, as long as you get it done and get the heck out of here!" And that's me when I'm calm and patient.
My plan is to take a break here for another cup of coffee, take a shower, and let Dad/Larry/Gpappy be the overseer for an hour.
9:15
I mentioned to Larry/Dad/Gpappy that all the noise on the first days of redoing the kitchen was great. It meant that work was being done. Removal of the old, getting ready for the new. I've got a new perspective as of today. While in the shower with water running over my head and the low-flying airplane sound of the overhead fan droning in my ears, I could hear the ripping of saw blades INTO OUR NEW CABINETS for electrical outlet holes. Let's hope those holes are the right size and in the right places. YIKES!!
10:15
This is turning into an hourly report. I noticed when I walked through the dining room that the glue that holds the countertop in place is making all the workers high. Whew, that's powerful stuff. I think I'll go check on them again...
To meet electrical code, we'll have more outlets in the kitchen area than in the rest of the house combined. The sawdust continues to pile up.
12:15
Electricians are gone, and will have one more visit to make after the tiling is done for the backsplash in the main kitchen area. They got a lot done today. Whew!
12:45
Countertop boys are finishing up with a wipe-up of the counters. As soon as I get them out the door I'll tackle the sawdust and Corian dust so George the plumber can do his thing in a couple of hours.
Countertop boys are finishing up with a wipe-up of the counters. As soon as I get them out the door I'll tackle the sawdust and Corian dust so George the plumber can do his thing in a couple of hours.
2:30
Feeling the desperate need for caffeine and something cool to drink, I took a quick trip to McD's to get iced coffee. I left a note for George the plumber on the door, in case by some miracle he got here before 2:30 or 3:30, which was his most recent plan. I beat him home, but not by much. I had time to put a few things in cupboards, but I can see there is a need to do some re-cleaning after the latest dust-o-rama.
Hurray! We'll have running water in the kitchen soon!! George offered his 2 cents about the countertops being a bit too light in color, but he'll have to live with it. He showed up in a plaid shirt and khakis, appearing a bit upscale for a guy who's about to crawl under a kitchen sink. I asked if he was starting a new trend in work clothes for plumbers, but he isn't. He was at a meeting. After going to his truck, he reappeared in his typical work attire. Gees, I hope he changed in his truck so the neighbors didn't get an eyeful.
4:15
George is done and we have water in the kitchen again. It will be so nice not to wash dishes in the bathroom sink.
Here's where we are now...
Not much visible change in this area, but outlets are done, except for cover and dimmer switch for under-cabinet lighting.
Countertops are done. We're in limbo about the stove hood. We'll decide after appliances are put in as to whether we'll finish installing it or if we'll get something else. It can't be raised any higher, and we're imagining facial and cranial wounds because of its location in proximity to our foreheads.
Faucet is in. As you can see, we're going for the Italian ruins look for the back splash!
On hold again until Monday, when appliances are scheduled to be put in. The most important thing going on for us right now is a visit from Elisabeth, Vivian, and Hannah and a gathering of the cousins. Angie and Charlie are hosting the big event, which Dad/Larry/Gpappy and I appreciate very much, considering the topsy-turvy condition of our house.
As I write, G/D/L is on his way back from Otown with E, H, and V, followed by T, A, M, and W. Everyone will be headed to see C, A, E, and O. I feel as if I've been typing all day, and you all know who you are anyway.
1 comment:
Beautiful! I can't wait to see the final result! Have a great weekend with all the little ones!
Post a Comment