Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Our top story tonight...

An earthquake followed by a tsunami caused devastation on Samoa and American Samoa today, and Najubullah Zazi was charged with conspiracy to commit terrorism. Death and destruction are usually a big deal on the news, right? But what was the lead story on KEYC-TV this evening at 10 p.m.? You guessed it: the St. Peter football team was rehydrated at Friday's game with water served in paper cups rather than from water bottles to deter the potential for spreading H1N1. It included video coverage of two water boys carrying a tray of water cups with the startling revelation that the cups tipped over the first time and water spilled. Interview footage with the A.D.--Jim Kruger--and the H.S. principal--Paul Peterson--rounded out this news headliner for September 29.

The cups were red and white, but may not have been coke cups, but I needed an image. How will the school district reconcile greenness with the use of disposable paper cups? Does disease trump environmental concerns?
Teresa, you'd know the answers!

Holy cow, Annie, didn't you do a project involving the spread of disease because of high school athletes sharing their spit and sweat YEARS AGO?? So why are football players still sharing water bottles? And why in the hell is this the top news story tonight--or any night? I admit I'm in a heightened state of irritation recently, mostly do to my own pathetic work environment, but for Pete's sake people!!! (Who is Pete?). I rest my case.

4 comments:

Teresa Saum said...

As the wellness potentate in the district, Jill, I would say that the fear of hiney flu (I heard someone call it that...H1N1...which I guess they read as hiney) trumps the fear of global warming way in the future. Sorry Al.

espd said...

I thought they just squirted water into their mouths w/o touching the spouts of the plastic bottles. So now they're just wasting paper? :-0

apg said...

My work was on preventing the spread of staph infections. That means not sharing towels, practicing good hygiene, etc. Pretty sure it's a hopeless case for high school football players. Whatever happened to bringing your own water bottle? I thought that's why they invented the Sharpie marker - so you can keep track of your own stuff (including germs).

Anonymous said...

Hey, you know it ain't newsworthy unless it's happening right here in Stupid Peter.