Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Day 11: Small steps

This is really about Wednesday, Day 11, but I'll get to that later.

Part 1:  
I'm writing this on Tuesday afternoon after a flurry of phone calls and emails. If I write it all down I'll have notes to refer back to so I can check what got done and what didn't.

1. I called the appliance store to check on the status of the missing part for the range hood. It's in! Larry is on his way to pick it up. Drive with care, Gpappy. We need that part! UPDATE: Gpappy and hood part arrived safely.

2. I called Jeff the carpenter to ask the 2 by 6 question I referred to in an earlier blog entry and mostly to tell him the hood part is here. He told me the cabinet that we need yet is also in. Two for two! He'll come tomorrow afternoon to install it, finish the range hood, trim the window, replace a door threshold, and cook dinner for us. Well, not the last thing.

3. Jeff told me he'll call Bill the electrician to see if he can do a chunk of his remaining work yet this week. If this happens, and if the countertops are done, and if the plumber shows up, maybe the appliances can be put in. Don't hold your breath.

4. I called Brad the coordinator (who has taken over in Catherine's departure) to get the phone number for the Corian folks to find out when they'll be here to finish, since Misty/Mitzi/Missy hasn't called yet with that information. Brad was shocked to find out the work didn't get done yesterday. First he'd heard of it. I shoulda put it on Facebook--I'd have heard from him in five minutes. UPDATE: Keith and crew will be back "first thing" Friday morning. Brad's goal is to have plumber here right after, and electrical done by Friday as well. My goal, too, but I'm doubtful. 

So now we have carpenter, plumber, electrician, cabinet installer all needing to do their things in the next few days. I'm putting my money on Jeff the carpenter getting here tomorrow afternoon sometime, and waiting for the rest until next week.  

The saga will continue when it's time for the tiler and the painter, although the painter we've had do work for us recently has been very dependable. 

I'm waiting for Brad to call back about all of the above so I can "pencil in" the new work schedule. With all the cousins gathering at the end of the week, I will look forward to some fun and craziness instead of sit and wait-iness. UPDATE: No more news from Brad, other than the countertop info. Brad's day off is tomorrow, so we're on hold again.

Part 2:
It's now Wednesday, the real Day 11. 11/20 is the new fraction. It's greater than 1/2, so we've had work done more than 50% of the days since we started on April 7. I need to do some research and find out what the average number of days/typical percentage of days worked is for kitchen remodeling. 

Jeff the carpenter arrived at 5:30 p.m. and left around 8:15. In that time he managed to install the final cabinet, put wood trim around the window, and remove a damaged threshold and install the new one. We had a conversation about the stove hood, and I anticipate that we'll have to get a different style so we won't bonk our heads every time we use the stove top. Ay yi yi!
 
The best work that was done today was a complete remodel of the sun room kitchen. Here are the worker-mans at work:

Cupboards moved to new location

 Flooring laid
 
 Cabinet contents rearranged

Sink installed

Satisfied worker-mans
 
Tomorrow will be a no-action day, but Friday could be a barn-raising, with countertop boys, electrician, plumber, and appliance guys. Or not.

2 comments:

espd said...

Fingers are crossed!!!! Maybe you should hire those cute worker mans from the sunroom

lljone said...

Wow! I like Elisabeth's suggestion of putting E&O on the job-- they'll get it done!