Monday, April 28, 2014

Day 10: Countertops, almost

There was a rumor early last week that the countertop installation would begin today "first thing". Then I got a call from Brad on Friday changing the start time to between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. I can live with that, as long as it's closer to 11:00. 

10:00 a.m.  
I'm hoping the barge bringing the countertops pushed off early enough this morning to get here before noon. Rain, rain, and more rain. We need it. Ironically, the leak around the sun room chimney wall that has been fixed/not fixed/fixed two or three or four times in the last couple of years isn't showing itself with all this rain. It was still a problem last fall before cold weather arrived. A miracle, no doubt. Maybe we can get the plaster repaired and repaint the wall at last! I'm talking to myself. Sorry.

12:15 p.m.
And the fun has begun -- with another speed bump. The countertop boys--Keith, Erik, and Nate -- arrived around noon. Within a minutes after looking over the situation and heading back out to the truck, I heard muffled sounds of concern. Soon they carried in the steel frame that will hold the countertop overhang and showed us that it hadn't been built quite right. Support pieces that go on either side of the slide-in stove hadn't been added on. Funny thing-- we'd had the stove delivered on the spur of the moment by the appliance store on the day the countertop measurements were taken because of a last-minute request of the company to verify measurements. Keith, the head honcho, went into action on his phone and there were calls back and forth, presumably to someone who would later get his ass chewed.

Despite the major problem today, there is quite a lot they can do, including fitting all the pieces and putting in supports in other areas, and drilling holes in the new cabinets--YIKES!! Two of these guys are very young, and quick to use their power tools (No innuendo, please.). They also can install the countertop and backsplash section that's in the dining room, which they are doing right now.

"Witch Hazel" is the name of the Corian pattern. It's very light, maybe lighter than I anticipated, but who can tell from a 12 inch square what an entire room will look like? It looks good, so I'll keep it.

I'll be getting a call from Mitzi or Misty or Missy by tomorrow morning to let me know when the countertop boys will be back to finish their work. There is actually only one scheduler, but I didn't catch her name, hence the triple play. 

The countertop boys managed to get everything else prepped and fitted. They will take back two of the sections for minor cutting adjustments that they would normally do on site, but I think Keith wants to drive home the point about doing it right the first time. 

On his way out the door, Keith offered what must have been his fourth apology for the frame issue. And, as soon as the helpers were out of earshot, he muttered that he doesn't like to have two extra guys along when he does installations. He says they get in the way when he's trying to problem-solve as he's working. He kept Nate busy with the glue gun and the calk, and from what I could tell, Erik's main job was to stand out in the garage, watch it rain, and be ready to haul things in and out on demand. 

The countertop boys drove off to return to Hastings about 2:15. I hope Missy, Misti, or Mitzi isn't on a coffee break when they get back, and will get us on the schedule for this week. In the meantime, I have to call Jeff the carpenter and ask a question about a 2 by 6. What was that question again??

Keith, Erik, and Nate at work fitting the countertop pieces to make sure 
they fit correctly. The stove opening hasn't been cut yet.
 

 They left the sink section here, since it's ready for installation.
 

Dining room area countertop is in, with matching backsplash. 
Kitchen area will have a tile backsplash instead.


This shot shows the pattern a little better, but colors aren't quite true. 


Kitchen area backsplash tile sample. 
Again, color is off in photo.

 
22 days since we started, and counting...

2 comments:

lljone said...

Beautiful! It's fascinating to see the progress from day to day.

Charlie said...

Looks great!!!